Given below are some idioms/phrases followed by four alternative meanings to each. Choose the response (a), (b), (c) or (d) which is the most appropriate meaning and mark your response on the answer sheet accordingly.
11. To fish in troubled waters
A. to borrow money
B. to steal belongings of
C. to get benefit in bad situation
D. to extend a helping hand
12. To be in a fix
A. to receive strong criticism
B. to support oneself
C. to fix problems
D. to be in a difficult situation
13. Walk a tightrope
A. to be forced to leave your job
B. to be ready to fall
C. to act very carefully
D. to invite danger
14. The gift of the gab
A. ability to speak easily and confidently
B. ability to spoil something
C. ability to sell things
D. gift from a sacred institution
15. A red-letter day
A. a trivial day
B. a very important or significant day
C. a day of bloodshed and violence
D. a mourning day
Each of the following sentences in this section has a blank space and four words or groups of words given after the sentence. Select whichever word or group of words you consider most appropriate for the blank space and indicate your response on the answer sheet accordingly.
16. The soldiers waiting to go into battle for the first time were full of ____ .
17. I would not commit myself ____ that course of action.
21. If I were rich, ____ a lot.
A. I’ll travel
B. I can travel
C. I would travel
D. I travelled
22. The football match has to be ____ because of the weather.
A. called off
C. put off
D. turned off
23. The British ____ all over Africa and Asia collapsed in the first half of the twentieth century.
Each item in this section consists of a sentence with an underlined word followed by four words or group of words. Select the word or group of words that is opposite in meaning to the underlined word and mark your response in your answer sheet accordingly.
36. None but the brave deserves the fair.
A. ugly person
C. jealous person
D. weak person
37. Permit me to present you with a book.
40. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
Each item in this section consists of a part with a bold word/words followed by four words. Select the option that is nearest in meaning to the underlined word/words and mark your response on your Answer Sheet accordingly.
41. His behaviour was deliberately provocative.
A. exciting desire
D. creating frustration
43. This boy is very timid.
44. I had some deepest convictions reflected in my work.
A. ideas and opinions
B. firm beliefs
51. Which one of the following types of cloud is characterized by continuous precipitation?
60. The time period of oscillation of a simple pendulum having length L and mass of the bob m is given as T. If the length of the pendulum is increased to 4L and the mass of the bob is increased to 2m, then which one of the following is the new time period of oscillation?
64. If one set of chromosomes for a given plant is represented as N; in case of double fertilization, the zygote and the endo-sperm nucleus of a diploid plant would have how many sets of chromosomes respectively?
A. N and 2N
B. 2N and 2N
C. N and 3N
D. 2N and 3N
66. The oxygen evolved during photosynthesis comes from splitting of
B. carbon dioxide
68. The acidic semi-digested food coming out of the stomach is neutralized by
A. pancreatic juice
B. duodenal secretion
C. large intestine secretion
D. bile juice
69. Which one of the following is called dry ice?
A. Solid carbon dioxide
B. Liquid carbon dioxide
C. Liquid nitrogen
D. Liquid ammonia
71. Which one of the following is a tribasic acid?
A. Hydrochloric acid
B. Nitric acid
C. Sulphuric acid
D. Phosphoric acid
74. Which one of the following is known as a zone of sharp salinity change in the vertical section of ocean?
C. photic zone
80. The full form of LED is
A. Light Emitting Diode
B. Light Emitting Devise
C. Light Enhancing Devise
D. Light Enhancing Diode
84. The frequency of ultrasound waves is
A. less than 20 Hz
B. between 20 Hz and 2 kHz
C. between 2 kHz and 20 kHz
D. greater than 20 kHz
87. Which one of the following is a heterogeneous mixture?
A. Hydrochloric acid
D. Soda water
89. The atomic number of an element is 8. How many electrons will it gain to form a compound with sodium?
92. Damage to the apical meristem of a growing young plant will affect the
A. length of the plant
B. colour of the flower
C. colour of the leaves
D. taste of the fruits
93. One of the additional functions of Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum (SER) is
A. protein synthesis
B. lipid synthesis
C. storage of biomolecules
D. detoxification of toxic substances
94. Which one of the following groups of cellular organelles contains DNA?
A. Mitochondria, nucleus, chloroplast
B. Mitochondria, Golgi bodies, nucleus
C. Mitochondria, plasma membrane, nucleus
D. Chloroplast, nucleus, ribosomes
102. The Theosophical Society was led by
A. A.O. Hume
B. Arthur Griffith
C. Annie Besant
D. Lord Dufferin
109. The place of English East India Company settlement in Madras was known as
A. Fort William
B. Fort St. George
C. Elphinstone Circle
D. Marble Palace
113.Every Judge of the Supreme Court of India is appointed by the
A. Supreme Court Collegium
C. President of India
D. Lok sabha
114. Who among the following leaders started the Indian Home Rule League?
A. Gopal Krishna Gokhale
B. Mahatma Gandhi
C. Bal Gangadhar Tilak
D. J. B. Kripalani
115. Who among the following is not a member of G7?
123. Who among the following travellers was from Italy and visited Vijayanagar Kingdom in the fifteenth century?
D. Nicolo Conti
124. When did the Stamp Act Congress consisting of delegates from 9 of the 13 colonies of America meet in New York City?
127. Which one of the following crops was introduced by the Portuguese in India?
C. Betel leaf
132. Which one of the following is not a process of Chemical Weathering?
137. Which one of the following greenhouse gases is in largest concentration in the atmosphere?
B. Nitrous oxide
C. Carbon dioxide
146. Which one of the following is not used as fertilizer?
A. Ammonium nitrate
B. Ammonium sulphide
C. Ammonium phosphate
D. Ammonium sulphate
149.Which one of the following is not an agent of metamorphism?